Backup account: use a managed account

Buckit

Hi again,

Poking around the Administration-section of the web interface I decided to set up automated backups for Passwordstate. I was quite surprised to find that we need to hard-code the password for the backup account. I mean, the whole point of Passwordstate is to have managed accounts ;)

Could you possibly update the automated backups in such a way that they can use a known username+password object from the Passwordstate database? That way, if the password gets changed, we won't have to manually edit the backup settings.

Backup-Hardcoded-Password.png

Hi Buckit,

Yep good point and we'll take a look at how we can link the account on this screen, to another account in a password record so it can be managed.  The tracking ID is PS-2344 and we'll report back here when we include it in a future build.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Support.

Hello,

I have stumled over this aswell.

In my opinion the best way is to add possibility to use gMSA authentication here if possible.
I've setup the SQL servers services to use gMSA and it works fine and then the application server needs a specified user/password account?

My vote goes for gMSA since you already hinted about those in your instructions of the SQL authentication :)

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance
HA4g3n
Sweden

Hello HA4g3n,

We cannot really use a gMSA account here, because we need to 'Impersonate' the account in code when performing backups and upgrades, and when impersonating you need to specify the password for the account - which is not possible for gMSA accounts.

We did finish this feature request yesterday, and it will be available in the next release.

Regards

Click Studios

On 12/2/2017 at 10:21 PM, support said:

We cannot really use a gMSA account here, because we need to 'Impersonate' the account in code when performing backups and upgrades, and when impersonating you need to specify the password for the account - which is not possible for gMSA accounts.

We did finish this feature request yesterday, and it will be available in the next release

Ahh, i see! Thanks for the clarification :)

Awsome job once again!

Archived