Deactivating "Disable Inheritance" does not set correct permissions

Flash

Hello,

I might have encountered a bug.

Consider I have two users: "user1" and "user2".

Now user1 creates a new folder named "Main Folder" using the Advanced Permission Model. Next, he adds user2 as admin to this group:

image.thumb.png.a3fdab687b221e42ff3f4514b11832c0.png

Next, user1 adds a shared password list named "A Shared List" under this folder.

Viewing the permissions for "A Shared List", it looks like this:

image.thumb.png.388998869c0f1c138cbb7f29eae35c82.png

So far, so good.

Now for "A Shared List" I set "Disable Inheritance ..." Also, for "A Shared List", I set the access level of user2 to View:

image.thumb.png.238f96d6fd5e2f22d0720d2234358497.png

So far, so good.

Now comes the part which confuses me. For "A Shared List" I deactivated "Disable Inheritance ..."

I would image that now user2 has admin access again as specified by the "Main Folder". However, user2 still only has view access:

image.thumb.png.bf61918f15c0ab10e9a1d8a1b0b53853.png

The permissions tab looks like this:

image.thumb.png.8ee80bc9c787d51b3d44f8b16de07e71.png

Is this supposed to happen or did I encounter a bug?

Hello,

We can confirm that turning off the 'Disable Inherittance' setting on a Password List, does not change permissions on the Password List at all. You then need to modify permissions on upper-level folders, if you want to modify permissions on the Lists nested beneath it.

We hope this claeifies.

Regards

Click Studios

Thank you for your reply!

Are you missing a "not" in your first sentence?

So what exactly would I need to change? On the upper-level folder, user2 already has admin access:

image.thumb.png.f3a96896aa2e016464da7ec73e01922d.png

And permissions cannot be changed on the password list (understandably):

image.thumb.png.d39f940dd65ce563d08e31f98d8a9a21.png

Apparently, the inheritance does not properly work.

Sorry, yes It meant to say "does not change permissions".

When you select the option to Disable Inheritance, there is the change the permissions can be different - as you've changed them on the Password List itself.

So to correct this now, on the Main Folder, change User 2 to have Modify permissions, and then change back to Admin permissions. This will propagate those changes down to the Password List.

Regards

Click Studios

• 3 weeks later...

I think there may still be a problem with this functionality, even in build 9381.  When the lower-down item disables inheritance of permissions and then removes an entire security group (for example, SecGroupXYZ) from its permissions, and then unchecks "Disable Inheritance..." so that it once again inherits permissions, the following happens:

• SecGroupXYZ does not show up in lower folder's permissions, as explained earlier in this thread.
  • Go to upper folder and change its permissions for that group, such as setting SecGroupXYZ to "View".
  • Go to lower folder and look at its permissions.  SecGroupXYZ still does not appear in the list, alas.
  • If a group (for example, secGroupABC) appears on the permissions of both upper and lower folders, then changing the upper folder's permissions is propagated down to the lower folder as explained earlier in this thread.
  • If SecGroupXYZ is removed from upper folder, and then re-added to upper folder, only then does it also appear in lower folder's permissions.

So it seems that when inheritance of permissions is re-enabled (a fairly unusual thing, I will admit), there isn't a full synchronization occurring on the next permissions change.  Specifically, when a group exists in upper folder but not in lower folder (due to fiddling around when permission inheritance was disabled), it is not re-added to lower folder when a mere change is made -- even if that change is in the group that is missing from lower folder.  Only by removing and re-adding that group to upper folder does the system also ensure it is added to all the child items.

• 1 year later...