Cannot export report to Excel

Alex VanderWoude

I ran the "What permissions exist for all shared password records (enumerated permissions report)?" on our site, which took a while and produced a set of 123282 items.  I then attempted to export that report as an Excel file using the "Export to Excel" link.  Eventually an error was produced, and the Error Log showed this:

Build No '9381' - We found a problem with this formula. Try clicking Insert Function on the Formulas tab to fix it.
    Not trying to type a formula? When the first character is an equal (=) or minus (-) sign, 
    RadSpreadsheet thinks it is a formula. For example, when you type =1+1 the cell shows 2., 
StackTrace = at Telerik.Windows.Documents.Spreadsheet.Model.CellValueFactory.Create(String value, Worksheet worksheet, Int32 rowIndex, Int32 columnIndex, CellValueFormat currentFormatValue, ICellValue& cellValue, CellValueFormat& newFormatValue)
 at Telerik.Windows.Documents.Spreadsheet.Model.CellSelection.CreateValue(String value, ICellValue& cellValue, CellValueFormat& newFormat)
 at Telerik.Web.UI.ExportInfrastructure.XlsxRenderer.SetCellValue(CellSelection xlsCell, Cell cell)
 at Telerik.Web.UI.ExportInfrastructure.XlsxRenderer.CreateWorksheet(Table tbl, Workbook wb)
 at Telerik.Web.UI.ExportInfrastructure.XlsxRenderer.CreateWorkbook()
 at Telerik.Web.UI.ExportInfrastructure.XlsxRenderer.Render(Workbook workbook)
 at Telerik.Web.UI.Grid.Export.TableViewExporter.ExcelExportRenderForm(HtmlTextWriter nullWriter, Control form)
 at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
 at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
 at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
 at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
 at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
 at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
 at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
 at System.Web.UI.Adapters.ControlAdapter.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
 at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
 at Telerik.Web.UI.RadAjaxControl.RenderPageInAjaxMode(HtmlTextWriter writer, Control page)
 at Telerik.Web.UI.RadAjaxControl.RenderPageInAjaxMode(HtmlTextWriter writer, Control page)
 at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

No idea what formula it is talking about, but I suspect that's a bogus error.  My suspicion is that the sheer volume of items is causing the trouble.  After the report had been retrieved, I filtered it down to a mere 46000 items and attempted the export again.  This time it succeeded, which supports my suspicion that the number of items is too much for the code (or memory?) to handle.

Any ideas?  This is not really critical for me, so if it never gets resolved I'll just shrug and move on.  But it would be nice to have it fixed.

Hi Alex,

We've recently set up a stress test environment which I just tried to run this report on, but mine timed out when running the report.  I'll create a bug fix for this and we should hopefully be able to patch this in an up and coming upgrade.  We have a few areas that we want to improve on performance wise, when there are a huge amount of Password Lists, Folders, passwords etc.  

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.