Connecting to a new replica DB

Anoop

Hi Team,

Hope you are well. I was reading the forums and was trying to see if anyone else had a similar issue as me. 

We wish to set up Passwordstate with HA and I have been asked to create 2 new servers for this. I have created  2 new servers for this task other than our current prod Passwordstate server which we will decommission once I have configure the 2 new servers etc. Whilst setting up on the initial set up screen on the new server I am trying to connect to an existing replica DB server of our production PasswordState DB thats currently in use. I notice that in the connection test is ok however, when I move forward with next it tries to create table and errors out. Is it because the tables are already present in the DB. 
I know it would be easier to just use the migrate web server option. But I wanted to use the replica DB as testing ground before I move on to the prod one.

Thank you for taking the time and helping me with my query.

regards,A
Anoop

Hello Anoop,

Here is what you will need to do, if you want to connect to an existing DB:

• On your new server, disable the Passwordstate Windows Service for now - you do not want it to duplicate any processing that your production "primary" server will be doing
  • You need to ensure you have the same build numbers installed. Check the file c:\inetpub\passwordstate\bin\passwordstate.exe, and this can tell you the build number. If you've installed the latest build, but production is on an earlier build, then you will need to first upgrade production to the same build - https://www.clickstudios.com.au/downloads/version9/Upgrade_Instructions.pdf
  • Now on your production server, go to the screen Administration -> Authorised Web Servers, and add your new web server here - it will be another 'Primary' server
  • Now from your production server, copy across the file c:\inetpub\passwordstate\web.config file, across to your new server. Before you do this, open this file and ensure the database connection string, and appSettings sections are not encrypted - you will need to decrypt them first if they are

We hope this helps.

Regards

Click Studios

Thank you Team. Yes so I do have an older version of password state running in our current version. The challenge I have been facing is that when I try to update it its failing and hence I was thinking of just creating 2 new servers and hoping to connect to the old DB. 
I might have to give the upgrade option another go. Is there any way I can connect to an existing DB and import all the data if on the new server I select the option create new database ?

Regards,
Anoop

Hello Annop,

You cannot point a newer insall of Passwordstate to an older database, otherwise it will try and upgrade the database when you do - and then you will not be able to use your production environment.

I would suggest following the upgrade instructions again, and hopefully you should not have any issues - but please log a support ticket here if you do - https://www.clickstudios.com.au/support.aspx

Regards

Click Studios