Migrate v8 (built 8180) from old to new server

Kris

Hello,

I have a Passwordstate v8 8180 running on an old Windows 2008 server that I want to migrate to a new Windows server. 

Can you please tell me if I should first upgrade to the latest version on the old server and THEN move it to the new Windows Server considering there is a database schema update or better to install the same old version on the new server and perform the upgrade there?

Which one is the easiest, safest option?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Chris,

Yes, we'd recommend upgrading first, and then you can perform the move. Here are some documents for you for both - you will need to upgrade to build 8995. Then on your new server, you can either install 8895 on here, or version 9 - it will then prompt you to upgrade the database.

Regards

Click Studios

Thank you for your prompt response. Reading through the upgrade documentation, I noticed that the System Requirements are for Microsoft Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016, 2019, 2022

As we are on Server 2008, please confirm that upgrading to build 8995  is fully supported on this version of OS and its .NET framework, Powershell etc..

Regards,

Kris

Hi Kris,

As long as you have .NET Framework 4.5 installed on your Server 2008 machine, you can upgrade to build 8995. If you prefer, you can build a new server with build 8995 on it, and perform your move - you will then be prompted to upgrade your database. This might be less risk for you, as you can restore your DB over and over again if needed, and leave your productions system alone whilst you test the migration.

Regards

Click Studios

Hello,

I have drafted a high level process to upgrade and move our Passwordstate to a new server. Could you please glance over it and let me know if I am on the right track?

Also, we have an enterprise license for our version 8180.

• Will this continue to work for version 8995?
  • What about version 9?

High level steps:

1) Build a new server with Passwordstate 8995 on it

2) Move the Passwordstate database to the new SQL server / or SQLEXPRESS.

• Use SQL Management Studio Tools to back up the database on old server and restore the it to the new SQL Server.
    • In the new database, delete old passwordstate_user and create new one.
  • Finally copy the web.config from old to new server and modify the connection string in web.config to reflect the four changes.
  1. The database server name (which includes the instance name if it is sqlexpress or a custom instance)
  2. The database name (by default it’s “passwordstate” unless you change it
  3. The SQL user which has db_owner rights to the Passwordstate database
  4. And the password for that SQL user.
  • Restart the application so web.config is re-read.
  • Login to passwordstate. This will prompt to upgrade the database.

- At this stage we will have moved and upgraded to the latest v8 build.

3) Now upgrade to latest Passwordstate v9.

• Passwordstate Upgrade Instructions (clickstudios.com.au)

- At this stage we will have upgraded to the latest v9 build.