Change the password on Cisco small busyness switches (SG250 series)

razvan

I would like to request a script to change the password on Cisco small busyness switches (SG250 series, Version: 2.4.0.94). This small business switch is asking for a “login as” and after is asking the username and password. This “login as” can be anything, it doesn't matter, we can pass the username twice. There is a big subset of Cisco devices that have this behavior. Not only SG switches, but also wireless LAN controllers and others.

Thanks in advance.

login 1.png

Hi Razvan,

Can you please let me know if the following information helps resetting passwords on this device?

The Cisco Small Business Server OS is a cut down version of the standard Cisco iOS, and of this reason not all standard command work when issuing Password resets to them.  We do have a work around for this though, and we’d encourage you to build your own Password Reset Script using our SSH Templates, as per Section 16 in this manual:  https://www.clickstudios.com.au/downloads/version9/Passwordstate_Privileged_Account_Management_Manual.pdf

When building this script, we have had another customer test these commands and can confirm these work:

Configure

Username [HostName] algorithm-type sha256 secret [NewPassword]

[OldPassword]

Exit

Exit

Exit

An example of this is as follows:

2022-11-22_15-20-22.png

If you now assign this reset script to your Password Record, does it reset correctly?

Regards,

Support.

Hi

We already tried everything that you said and is not working.

Our problem is not with resetting the password because we do not reach this step. Our problem is that Passwordstate cannot login to the switch. Like I said this Cisco switches at login are asking the username 2 times and after the password. So, we need a script that can put at login the username 2 times then the password and after successful login to go with the commands:

Configure -> Username [HostName] algorithm-type sha256 secret [NewPassword] -> [OldPassword] -> Exit -> Exit -> Exit

Regards

Razvan

Hi Razvan,

Understood and having a look back at your screenshot, I don't think we could developer a script to get around this.  We cannot issue commands to the switch until a SSH session is established.  I'll put in a request for us to purchase a switch and we'll try to do some testing against it.

Is there nowhere in that OS where you can disable the double username requirement?

Regards,

Support.

Hi Razvan,

I've just had a quick look on how to remove the double logon, and possibly this might help?  Not sure as mentioned above, we don't have a switch to test on.  Can you try running these commands on your switch, and does this get rid of the double logon?

config t

ip ssh password-auth

Regards,

Support

• 2 months later...

I've encountered similar situations in my work as a network admin, and it can be a bit of a hassle to navigate. Suppose you're unfamiliar with these switches' CLI. In that case, it might be helpful to brush up on that before attempting any changes.If you're looking for some guidance on how to get rid of the double logon, I'd recommend checking out some online forums or online resources. Some of them specialize in networking and Cisco gear. And, if you need any help with a biz plan or support in general, I found this website https://www.successionresource.com that might be helpful.