Can't retrieve password from API Key

qjb

We created an API Key for one folder, but when trying to retrieve the password in the folder via the API key, we get a 401 response:

[{"errors":[{"message":"No Authorization"},{"phrase":"An error has occurred trying to validate the API Key for PasswordID 'xxxxx'. Please check the PasswordID and API Key values have been specified, and are correct."}]}]

We have tried in both Powershell script and Postman.

We have no idea what's wrong, it seems the API Key is not recognized by the passwordstate.

Hello,

APIKeys on folders are not used to retrieve passwords from Password Lists nested beneath the folder. They are only used for managing permissions on the Folders.

To retrieve passwords, you can create a APIKey per Password List, or use the System Wide API Key.

Or you can use the Windows Integrated API, which does not need API Keys.

Regards

Click Studios

Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice that the Folder API key can't be used to retrieve password. The passwords are spread in multiple Lists, so I think that the best way might be to use a system-wide API Key. 

My questions are:

- how can I only allow the System API key to read passwords from one certain folder? or is it possible? 

- do we support multiple system-wide Generic API keys? 

- is it possible to only grant the `retrieve passwords` permission to the System API key?

Thanks

Hello,

Please see responses below:

- how can I only allow the System API key to read passwords from one certain folder? or is it possible? Unfortunately not

- do we support multiple system-wide Generic API keys? No we do not have a feature for that sorry

- is it possible to only grant the `retrieve passwords` permission to the System API key? - you can change those settings on the properties of each Password List

Have you had a look at the Windows Integrated API - can you instead use that in your environment?

Regards

Click Studios

Yes, I have looked into the Windows Integrated API, and that's the way we use it for Windows users. But some developers use Mac, so we want to figure out the Standard API key.