Invalid IP address was specified

Kurt

Hello,

When I attempt to Passwordstate I am seeing the following screen immediately upon login:

image.png.44213279abd069f8c70acde644f3800c.png

When I query the database I see the following errors:  

1. It appears the user's session in IIS has been prematurely ended, causing the following error - An invalid IP address was specified., StackTrace =    at System.Net.IPAddress.InternalParse(String ipString, Boolean tryParse)
   at Passwordstate.Common.IpAddressXForwarded(String ipAddress)
   at Passwordstate.Common.GetIPAddress()
   at Passwordstate.Common.QuerySessionStatus(String strPage)
   at _default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

2. An invalid IP address was specified., StackTrace =    at System.Net.IPAddress.InternalParse(String ipString, Boolean tryParse)
   at Passwordstate.Common.IpAddressXForwarded(String ipAddress)
   at Passwordstate.Common.GetIPAddress()
   at Passwordstate.Common.QuerySessionStatus(String strPage)
   at _default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I can't think of anything that may have caused this other than last week I was attempting to configure X-Forwarding on the website but I cannot go in to look at that cause the website will now log me in.  Any ideas?  I do plan on opening a support case as well.  

Hi Kurt,

Could you let us know what Authentication option you are using? We had a customer recently have the same issue when using SAML Authentication, as the user's email address had changed and there was no longer a match between the SAML Provider and Passwordstate. Is that the case for you?z

If this is not the cause, is this effecting all users, and does it happen every time you try to login? If it's only occasionally, then it could be Anti-Virus software on your web server killing sessions in IIS.

Thanks

Click Studios

Hi Kurt,

Could you also answer my other questions above? Can you login with the Emergency Access login password, and disable any IP Address restrictions you have added - to do this, append /emergency to your normal URL.

Regards

Click Studios

Hello,

We are using SAML but no email addresses have changed. Also, the behavior happens prior to me even attempting to enter a user name and password.  I tried deleting all browser history and restarting the browser with no difference.  

I am also seeing the same behavior when I attempt to access via Emergency Access.  

Thanks,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

We had a similar issue last week with another customer, and there is was due to them not following instructions properly for moving the install to a different web server - I assume that is not the case for you?

Can you try the following for me - using SQL Server Management Studio, execute the following statement below:

USE Passwordstate

UPDATE SystemSettings SET AllowedIPRanges = NULL, XForwardedAddresses = NULL

Now restart IIS, and try access the site again - does this help?

Regards

Click Studios

I was not the customer you are thinking of.  The only changes we tried was on our Load Balancer and passwordstate we attempted to configure X-Forwarding.  The issue didn’t occur immediately after this was configured but it was shortly after.  We backed out the change on the Netscaler but I couldn’t gain access to Passwordstate to see what I had set for the IP range. 

Do you think this could have caused the issue? 

Anyway, the command you gave me fixed it! Thank you for that!

Hi Kurt,

Yes, I was just indicating there was another customer who had a similar issue.

For anyone else reading this, the issue was caused by Kurt's Load Balancer either not being configured for X-Forwarding support, or the Load Balancer did not support it at all - so it was reporting the incorrect IP Address for all clients, locking them out of Passwordstate due to restrictions placed in the 'Allowed IP Ranges' field.

Regards

Click Studios

Archived